<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Debate roundup 
Protein Wisdom summarized the debate this evening as follows:
John Kerry: “Whatever you need, it’s yours. Need a job? You
got it. Need a higher living wage? Done. Need cheap, universal
healthcare? I’m your man. Need a better education? Have at it,
paid in full. Relying on social security for your retirement? I’ll
put it in a lock box. Tax relief? I can give you that, too.
Want to lose your virginity to a teenage Mexicali hooker and a donkey?
I’ll print coupons. And the best part is, every single one of my plans
comes with free cole slaw and a plate of homestyle biscuits!” George Bush:
“Anybody who believes this guy can deliver on even one percent of his promises
deserves four years of John F’n Kerry. God bless, and good night.”
Did anyone else watch it? I was flipping between the Cards/Astros game (go Cards) and the debate. But it seemed that every time I flipped back to the debate, Bush was on a roll. Kerry just looked a bit…I dunno…worn out. Some of the President’s answers were a bit off. Like talking about education when you’re asked about jobs (granted, I understand that education leads to better jobs…but the world needs ditch diggers too, Mr. President). Or his soft stance on the assault weapons ban (ask a business owner in South Central L.A. if his store would have been looted if he could have stood on top of it with a machine gun and a full load of ammo). But overall, there was passion. Passion I had not really seen from the President since the weeks following September 11th. In a way, it was magical. But I’m sure to some it came off as desperate. But I really think the President feels very strongly about domestic issues. These are the things that get his blood boiling. And there is no reason to feel a need to hide that passion.

If you didn’t get a chance to watch this debate, you will undoubtedly hear the following quote from Kerry replayed (probably in a future Bush ad) numerous times over the next few weeks:
And I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney’s daughter, who is a lesbian, she
would tell you that she’s being who she was, she’s being who she was born as.
Oh, sure. Take a swipe at Cheney’s daughter. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. And John Edwards did it too during his debate with the Veep. I simply don’t understand why his daughter needs to be brought into this. Sure, she's out and proud (or whatever they call it now), but she’s never been a political figure and there was no reason to bring her up. It was simply a cheap swipe to rattle the conservative base. Uncalled for, and unforgivable. Hopefully Bush can take this clear debate victory and ride it all the way till November 2nd.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?