<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Blacks "afraid" of touch screen voting machines 
Now, before the hate mail begins, I didn't say it. I'm just reporting the news i find.

Apparently, black folks are afraid of new voting machines. And I’m sure this is being used to set up a new challenge to the result in Florida. They (democrats) couldn't find one single person in 2000 to say that s/he was kept away from the polls by republicans (read: whites), but now they're going to have to find someone that is willing to admit that s/he was "afraid" of the big, bad touch-screen voting machine and that caused him/her to not be able to vote properly. Maybe another issue would be solved too if they just put the candidates pictures on the screen so then people wouldn't have to try and read the names and get all screwed up over that too. What a freaking joke.

Black Voters 'Afraid' of Electronic Voting Machines, Activist Says
By Marc MoranoCNSNews.com Senior Staff WriterSeptember 30, 2004Miami (CNSNews.com)

- An African-American civil rights spokeswoman said on Wednesday that the new computerized voting machines "terrify" her, and that blacks are "afraid of machines like that." Joanne Bland, the director and co-founder of the National Voting Rights Museum and Institute in Selma, Ala., told CNSNews.com on Wednesday that the new computerized voting machines are going to intimidate black voters in Florida and elsewhere and surpress their vote in the November presidential election because many blacks are not "technologically savvy."
"The computers really terrify me. The electronic voting --
the new machines -- I think it will turn off a segment in my community,
particularly the elderly. We are not as technically savvy, and we are afraid of
machines like that, and they (African-Americans) probably won't go [to the
polls] and they probably won't ask for assistance"
, said Bland, who spent the last week in Florida."It is going to turn them off totally and I want that to stop," said Bland, who also serves as a spokeswoman for the Washington, D.C.-based Institute for Public Accuracy, which predicts that "several million voters" may be "deprived of voting rights again" in 2004.
When asked if she preferred low-tech punch-card ballots that
produced the controversial hanging chads in Florida in 2000, Bland responded,
"Now that was low technology to who? People that have been privileged to learn
technology? There have been lots of changes in the United States, but if you
look at the statistics, our biggest block of voters would be between 40 and 80,
so when did those people have access to any kind of technology?"
Entire story here --> http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=/SpecialReports/archive/200409/SPE20040930a.html

Frankly, I’d be offended if I were a Black voter. Hell, I’d be offended if I was simply Black. To have someone of my own race, someone that is supposed to be “promoting my interests”, sit and say that I’m incapable of comprehending a freaking touch screen voting machine because I’m Black, would incense me. I’d go nuts. I hope Ms. Joanne Bland realizes how idiotic her statements were.

I thought this country was attempting to move away from classifying someone based solely on skin color (however, affirmative inaction is still around, so I guess we’re not all too dedicated to the cause). But here we have Ms. Bland screwing everything up. Can you imagine, just for a moment, the amount of shit that would have hit the fan, had Limbaugh, Hannity, or O’Reilly made those same comments about Blacks not being “technologically savvy”? CBS News would have been all over them like forged documents. It would have been craaaaaaazy.

I can’t understand why MSM (main stream media) has not yet picked up on these comments. Why not expose her for the racist she is? She might have well just said “Oh, we Blacks, we’re just below those whites with technology and all that. We just po city folk that don’t understand technology cause we black.”

I guess I’m simply dumbfounded.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?